Microsoft Outlook is a powerful email client used by thousands of businesses around the world. Here are 5 tips to improve your workflow within Outlook!
1. Use the Search Function Effectively!
- When searching for emails from a certain sender, preface your search with "from:" followed by the sender's name.
(ex: "from: abacus it")
- You can also narrow your searches by time, using the "received:" parameter. Or if you're looking for an attachment, use "hasattachment:"
(ex: "from: abacus it received: last week", "from: abacus it hasattachment: yes")
- Use the word "AND" to search multiple words at the same time. You can also use "subject:" to search subect fields exclusively.
(ex: "abacus it AND outlook", "subject: abacus it")
2. Disable Desktop Alerts!
Are those alerts on your desktop distracting you from your work? Turn them off by going into:
Options -> Mail -> disable "Display a Desktop Alert"
3. Learn your Shortcuts!
There are multiple ways to ditch your mouse and use your keyboard for common tasks. For example:
- Use Ctrl+Shift+M or Ctrl+N to start a new email
- Use TAB to navigate through the "CC:" and "BCC:" fields to get to the body of the email
- You can even use F7 to run a spell check!
- When your email is ready to be send, simply press Ctrl+Enter
4. Add Public Holidays to your Calendar!
Public holidays can make correspondence difficult, as they can be easy to forget and a chore to schedule around.
If you'd like to add these holidays to your calendar, go to:
File -> Options -> Calendar -> Add Holidays (you can even choose the countries that you want to acknowledge holidays for!)
5. Add a second time zone!
When running a business, there are many times where you will be in contact with someone in a different time zone. Instead of trying to remember the time difference between Los Angeles and New York for instance, just add the times to your calendar! Go to:
File -> Options -> Calendar -> Time Zones -> Show a second time zone
From here you can choose a label and which time zone you want to reflect.
Having problems with Microsoft Outlook? Looking into getting Microsoft Outlook for yourself? Contact Abacus IT today! Call (310) 271-9771 or email us at email@example.com